Thursday, February 24, 2011

IS THIS A NEW THING?

Last weekend at a kids basketball game, I noticed something hanging from the Refs jeans. Oh, did the jean thing catch your attention? So allow me to bring you up to speed. The gentlemen officiating the game was wearing the standard referee jersey and whistle, but was also wearing jeans and boots. Ya, running the court in boots and jeans! This guy was just to hot to wear shorts and sneakers and on top of it he had the afro gumby box cut going on.

Anyway, I noticed something hanging from the Refs jeans. It was dangling from a belt loop on the left front side. He'd run down the court towards me and just when he was close enough for me to try to figure out what it was...back down the court he'd go. I tried moving my seat a little closer, standing up, and walking over to the side line, but I still couldn't make it out. Then during a quarter break he walked and stood right in front of me. And to my astonishment it was the price tag...I wasn't aware that this was a fashion. I was at a lose. I fell back in my seat and let out a little chuckle. I thought maybe he needed to take them back, they clearly didn't fit. He had a belt on and yet they were still falling off his ass. As he clomped up and down the court he tugged and tugged to keep them up. So rightly he should be taking these back to the store to get a pair that fit properly.

I pondered over this for the rest of the day, still finding it pretty funny. It wasn't until the next day, while I was mountain biking, that it hit me. How is he doing his laundry? The tag was paper and was held on by a loop of cotton string. Now I'm assuming he does wash his clothes on occasion. so he must meticulously removes the tags and labels from his clothing, do the wash, and then re-attach them. How does he remember which tags go on which article of clothing? I envision some sort of elaborate cataloging system. Like a binder with pictures of each article, in document protectors, so he could slide in the tag with corresponding picture.

I surely don't understand were cultural fashion is going, or where it has been for that matter, but I do think it's safe to say that this is ridiculous. Maybe manufacturers need to start adding instructions on all their tags, like this security tag, and add another line "then discard" or "don't reattach".

No comments: