Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Preparing for agony

This week I registered myself for my first mountain bike endurance race. It will be a 13 hour race, dubbed the Baker's Dozen and will be held near Edgefield, SC. So my first hurdle is figuring out how exactly one should prepare for such torture. The course is going to be an eight mile loop and the goal is to complete as many laps as possible in the 13 hours. Starting at 9am and extending into the dark hours of the evening. I suppose that a good start will be to ride the bike a lot and try to be faster over the next 30 days. Cardio, cardio and more cardio. Trying to come up with a mileage goal is something else I'm thinking about. I've could only find the results from the 2004 race and the solo leader completed 152 miles (19 laps). I shat my pants a little after seeing that.

Stay Tuned.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Today's first distance training ride. 34 miles...10 in the pouring rain.